Hong Kong is a melting pot of cultures, which is why it's no surprise that even the Russian nesting doll has made its way to the bustling metropolis.
Known as 'matryoshka' in its motherland, this folk toy is a set of wooden dolls fitted inside each other in descending order. Each doll follows a theme - may it be political, a slice of life, or even pop culture.
Try your hand at traditional Russian nesting doll-making with this workshop by Aura Art. Head over their studio in Causeway Bay and be greeted by a friendly multilingual tutor. A short briefing will ensue and samples will be given as your guide throughout the class. Follow the tutor's step-by-step process for better results but feel free to have your way with your own set of dolls. Play around with colors and tools as you create a theme that personally interests you or speaks of your personality. Make sure to take home your finished set as a souvenir - an interesting home decor with Russian origins, yet filled with memories of Hong Kong.
- Any 1-hour and 30-minute period from 2:00 pm - 8:00 pm, daily
- Please indicate your preferred timeslot upon checkout
- Beginners and skillful artists are welcome to participate
- This activity is recommended for participants aged 4+
- The studio cannot accommodate wheelchairs due to limited space
- This class requires a certain level of hand motor skills
- Please be punctual, no rescheduling or refund will be arranged for late comers
Image Credit: Klook
1.5 Hour Russian Doll Workshop: 432 港元
2/F, 18 Matheson Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Alight from Causeway Bay MTR Station Exit A and walk for 2 minutes. Please look for a 7-Eleven with a nearby stairwell and proceed upstairs.