Reading to a dog helps children relax into reading, open up, try harder and have fun reading
The specially chosen, child-friendly, extremely calm dogs are the perfect reading companions. They don’t judge or correct, they allow children to read at their own pace and they’ve proven to be a calming influence on a class. The dog’s temperament, obedience and patient nature is of utmost importance to us, each and every dog we work with has been assessed and been awarded a certificate of suitability and a clean bill of health.
- Studies show that reading fluency has increased between 12-30% in children after participating in reading dogs programmes
- Gives children extra practice with reading and oral skills
- Some children feel reading becomes less difficult and become more confident reading aloud
- Reading to dogs has motivated children to read more at home, especially to their pets
- Children want to try and read more difficult books as they go through the programme
- Children feel more confident when answering reading related questions
- Children enjoy the programme and think it’s fun. They look forward to coming to the library because they feel the dog is waiting for them.
- Children feel comfortable reading to dogs because dogs don’t judge them if they mispronounce a word.
- Petting dogs can help with motor skills and are known to be a calming factor as it can reduce stress, blood pressure and anxiety
- Children often feel safe when sitting with a dog from the programme
- Reading to dogs can boost the confidence of struggling readers and gives them an increased sense of pride
- A child can feel like a leader by reading aloud and pretending (s)he is the teacher
- Children learn to take turns while waiting to read to the dog
- Children can learn kindness and empathy by petting and interacting with the dog
- Communication skills can be improved by practising reading aloud
- Participants enjoy communicating with each other and talking about the session, the dog and the book they read
Image Credit: Reading Dogs
+971 52 908 6569
Al Quoz Dubai Dubai
How to get there?
We run Reading Dogs sessions at a number of venues throughout Dubai.