From August 2022, as part of Creative Tomorrow, the Tea House Theatre Troupe presents a new original production. Devised and performed by an expert team, the 90-minute drama blends live performance, robotics and state-of-the-art audio and visual technology – immersing the audience in a magical tale about the history and heritage of Cantonese opera.
When a young musician returns to his family’s Qing-era ancestral home, he discovers a lost trove of Cantonese opera treasures that once belonged to his great-grandfather. A dream-like encounter with the spirit of his ancestor opens his eyes to the significance of the traditional art. Through highlight excerpts of familiar productions and musical styles – presented with live performance, recordings, three-dimensional soundscapes, and state of the art robotics and digital technology – the tale showcases the diversity of the Cantonese opera experience.
Perfect for the whole family, The Magic Tea House is Hong Kong’s first ever Cantonese opera production featuring robotics and AI technology. Join us for a fun and engaging new perspective on an age-old heritage art.
- Artistic Curator and Director: Law Ka-ying
- Producer and Director: Naomi Chung
- Tea House Rising Stars Troupe
Performed in Cantonese with Chinese and English subtitles
- Venue: Tea House Theatre, Xiqu Centre
Image Credit: West Kowloon Cultural District
27 January, 19:30
28 January, 14:30 & 19:30
29 January, 14:30.
Tickets from: 240 HKD
+(852) 2200 0217
West Kowloon Cultural District, Tsim Sha Tsui Kowloon, HK
How to get there?
West Kowloon Cultural District is located at the Yau Tsim Mong District and is bounded by Canton road in the east, the Western Harbour Crossing entrance and Austin Road in the north and Victoria Harbour in the west and south.
Getting here is simple as it is easily accessible by MTR, ferry, bus and road.
- Exit from MTR Kowloon Station Exit E4 or E5, walk through Nga Cheung road and cross the footbridge, you will reach West Kowloon Cultural District within 10 minutes.
- Exit from MTR Austin Station Exit D2, followed by a 20-minute walk to the West Kowloon Cultural District. However, due to road works around Austin Station, we strongly recommend you to choose other routes.
- KMB: Take bus route No. 215X, 261B, 281A or 215P and get off at the Austin Road West bus stops, followed by a 5-minute walk to the West Kowloon Cultural District; for route No. 8, 11, 280X or 203E, get off at the Nga Cheung Road bus stops, followed by a 10-minute walk to the West Kowloon Cultural District.
- Cross harbour bus (via Western Harbour Crossing): Take route No. 904, 905, 914, 930, 934, 935, 948,962B, 962X, 967, 968, 969, 970, 970X, 971or 973 and get off at the toll plaza bus stops of the Western Harbour Crossing, followed by a 5 - minute walk to reach the West Kowloon Cultural District.
- Green minibus: Take route No. 77M and get off at Austin Road West, followed by a 5-minute walk to reach the West Kowloon Cultural District; for route No. 26 or 74, get off at the Kowloon Station Public Transport Interchange, followed by a 15-minute walk to reach the West Kowloon Cultural District via MTR Kowloon Station or Lin Cheung Road.
- There is an hourly-rated carpark at the West Kowloon Cultural District. During the peak periods on weekends and holidays, visitors are suggested to use public transport or park your cars in nearby carparks (Kowloon MTR station or Elements).
- There is a designated drop-off point exclusively for taxies.