Does your child have a negative relationship with food, in particular with fruit and vegetables? Are their eating habits making you worried and despite your best efforts, they just do not seem to have an affinity for fruit and vegetables?
Children are more likely to build a healthy relationship with food if they are involved in the food preparation, therefore this workshop aims to provide children with the opportunity to explore fruit and vegetables through play.
What to expect during this workshop:
- Introduction: 2-5min
- Hands on activity- Constructing a healthy snack: 27min
- Closing: Food tasting activity: 8min
What to prepare:
- [Red] Red Apple x 1/4 pc (cut into thin quarter slices) AND/OR Red Capsicum x 1/4 pc (cut into 4cm sticks)
- [Orange] Orange/Mandarin x 1/4 pc (cut into thin quarter slices) AND/OR Cherry tomatoes x 5 small (cut half)
- [Yellow] Corn kernels x 1/4 cups AND/OR Bananas x 1 pc
- [Green] Celery x 1 stalk (cut into 4cm sticks) AND/OR Cucumber x 1/4 pc (cut into thin circles) AND/OR Green grapes x 5pcs (cut half)
- [Blue] Blueberry x 10pcs AND/OR Plums x 1/4 pc (cut into thin quarter slices)
- [Purple] Purple Grapes x 5 pcs (cut half) AND/OR Raisins x a handful
- Peanut butter x 1 tablespoon (or mashed potatoes if your child is allergic to peanut/treenuts)
Other materials to prepare:
- Plate x 1
- Toothpicks x 10
- Spoon x 1
- Plastic knives or child friendly knives x 1
The more ingredients you prepare, the more materials your child would have to work with during the activity. Ideally, prepare 1-2 types of fruit and vegetables from each colour.
In addition to learning about healthy eating, this session is also designed to educate and develop on the following areas:
- Math: Shapes
- Building and constructing
- Fine motor skills
- Creativity and critical thinking skills
- Social competency (autonomy, relating to peers, confident self identities)
My name is Dawn, I am an Accredited Practising Dietitian and Nutritionist as well as an Early Childhood Educator. As a Dietitian, I am passionate about helping my clients establish a better relationship with food by empowering them with sound nutrition knowledge and the right mindset. As an Early Childhood Educator, I believe children learn through meaningful play experiences and I love to change their attitude towards learning. Combining these 2 passions together, I aim to establish healthy eating habits in children through providing educational and meaningful play experiences.
Remark: You will receive your booking confirmation email from email@example.com that includes virtual workshop Meeting ID, password and printable (if any) shortly after you book. If you do not find the email in your inbox, please check your spam or junk mail folder.
Image Credit: Hommeet
13 August, 15 August, 20 August, 22 August, 27 August, 29 August, See the website for the opening hours.
Price: 10 SGD