LEGOLAND® School Challenge (the “Competition”), created and organised by LEGOLAND® Malaysia Resort, is back in its second iteration.
This year, LEGOLAND School Challenge expands its region to include students from ASEAN countries such as Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, and the Philippines.
Open to students from 7 to 12 and 13 to 17 years old in two categories, the Competition aims to unleash their imagination to create worlds of their dreams with LEGO®. The theme for this year’s competition is Cities of The Future. Schools and winning teams will be credited, and entries will be displayed at LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort.
LEGOLAND School Challenge is created based on LEGO’s DNA of learning through play. The Competition hopes to instill a lifelong learning mindset through STEM approach that reinforces teamwork, critical thinking, problem-solving and self-confidence.
“Last year, the inaugural LEGOLAND School Challenge received participation from over 205 groups from schools in Malaysia. We are encouraged by the support. This year, we have expanded to include schools from the region,” shares Mr. CS Lim, Divisional Director, LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort. “We are confident that play has the power to change lives and that LEGOLAND School Challenge can inspire our builders of tomorrow to see a future they can shape.”
Supported by the Ministry of Education Malaysia (MoE), LEGOLAND School Challenge is now recognised as a part of the official extracurricular program in Malaysia. The Competition is also made possible by Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture (MOTAC), Johor Tourism, Johor State Education Department, and Iskandar Investment Berhad (IIB).
This year’s theme calls for students to imagine and build Cities of The Future. To participate:
- Students need to form groups of between 5 to 15 students accompanied by at least 1 to 3 teachers and register their teams on the LEGOLAND School Challenge webpage by 26 May 2023, 2359hr (GMT+8).
- Once the teams are registered, students can start to ideate and build their vision of Cities of The Future.
- Submission starts 19 June 2023 and ends 7 July 2023, 2359hr. Participating teams need to submit by uploading pictures of their models alongside a photo, video, and written description of their design on LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort’s website.
There are two categories to compete in:
- Category 1: 7 to 12 years old
- Category 2: 13 to 17 years old
Submissions will be reviewed by an expert panel from LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort, including a Master LEGO Builder. Only original designs will be accepted. Submissions will be judged based on:
- Implementation of STEM elements in the design work
- Congruence to theme and creativity
- Originality and uniqueness of designs
There will be five winning teams - Grand Prize, 2nd Place, 3rd Place, 4th Place, and 5th Place, in each category. Winning entries will be credited and displayed at LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort.
Winning teams will receive:
- One LEGO Trophy for each winning team
- One iconic LEGO Set for each winning team
- Invitation to LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort for Prize Giving Ceremony
- Exclusive workshop with International LEGO Model Builder for Grand Prize winners only
- One Day Pass to LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort
- Certificate of Participation
- LEGO goodies for all participants
- Complimentary session in STEM programme
Award-ceremony is scheduled to happen in August 2023.
- Registration Period: Now till 26 May 2023
- Submission Period: 19 June to 7 July 2023
Images Credit: LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort
10 May - 7 July, See the website for the opening hours.
+607 597 8888
7, Jalan Legoland | Bandar Medini, Johor Bahru 79250, Malaysia
How to get there?
LEGOLAND® Malaysia Resort is located at Iskandar Puteri (also known as Nusajaya), Johor, Malaysia. Iskandar Puteri is located west of Johor Bahru, in close proximity to Port of Tanjung Pelepas and Gelang Patah. It is also strategically located within a 55-minute drive from Singapore's Changi International Airport, a regional aviation hub, and 20 minutes from Johor's Senai International Airport.
- From the North-South Highway / Senai Airport
Take Tuas / Iskandar Puteri / Pontian / Tanjung Pelepas EXIT 253 > Proceed to Iskandar Puteri EXIT 312 > LEGOLAND®Malaysia Resort signage will lead you to the destination!
- From Johor Bahru / CIQ / Singapore via the Coastal Highway
From Danga Bay, proceed straight via the Coastal Highway > Proceed all the way to Iskandar Puteri > LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort will be seen before reaching Kota Iskandar
- From Singapore via the Tuas Second Link
Proceed until you see the Iskandar Puteri EXIT 312 > You will see LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort signage
- GPS Coordinate
Degrees, Minutes, & Seconds: 1º 25’ 38" N 103º 37’ 47" E
Decimal Degrees: 1.427361, 103.62987
- GPS: N 1 25.642, E 103 37.792
To find out more details how to get to LEGOLAND Malaysia Resort by bus, please click here