Things come alive around Karung Guni Boy!
With the awesome power of his imagination, he can transform everyday objects into fantastical items.
One day, his friendly neighbour gets hurt and cannot get around as easily as before. Can Karung Guni Boy invent something to help her out?
Follow the adventures of Karung Guni Boy, a heart-warming story about learning to care for the world and people around us.
Performed for the first time in Mandarin, with some English, Malay, Tamil and Hokkien. All performances will be interpreted in Singapore Sign Language by a narrator and will have English closed captions. Karung Guni Boy is a theatrical adaptation of Karung Guni Boy by Lorraine Tan and Eric Wong, published by Epigram Books.
This production of Karung Guni Boy, as part of Huayi - Chinese Festival of Arts 2022, was created in consultation with The Singapore Association for the Deaf.
- Directed by Tan Beng Tian
- Adapted for the stage by Jean Tay
- Translated by Neo Hai Bin
- Produced by Zhang Mingying, Adeline Lee
- Production Manager Amy Wee
- Set Design by Wong Chee Wai
- Lighting Design by Gabriel Chan, assisted by Tai Zifeng
- Composition and Sound Design by Stan x Soap
- Costume Design by Glenna Ng
- Original Puppets and Props by Loo Anni
- Puppets and Props by Wabi Metta
- Performed by Evelyn Chye, Hang Qian Chou, Padma Sagaram, Sugie Phua & Suhaili Safari
- Stage Manager: Ruth Au
- Assistant Stage Manager: Patricia Gabriel
All performances of Karung Guni Boy are relaxed. A relaxed performance is a performance that has been adapted in particular ways which make it more accessible for children, including those who are on the autism spectrum, as well as children with sensory or communication conditions or learning disabilities. For more information on relaxed performances, please visit here.
An original production by Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay, presented as part of PLAYtime! in 2021.
Performed in Mandarin, English, with some Malay, Tamil and Hokkien. All performances will be narrated in Singapore Sign Language, with English closed captions.
- From 1 Jan 2022, there will no longer be a concession for unvaccinated individuals to perform Pre-Event Testing in lieu of being fully vaccinated. All patrons aged 13 and above need to be fully vaccinated# against COVID-19.
#Full vaccination refers to:
- two weeks after the second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty, Moderna or any COVID-19 vaccines under the World Health Organisation's (WHO) emergency use list
- recovery from a COVID-19 infection
All patrons are required to do SafeEntry check-in at the venue via the TraceTogether app (version 2.11 and above) or token only. Other modes of SafeEntry check-in will not be accepted.
- PIP's Club: 10% savings (Limited)
- Enjoy savings for 2 or 4 tickets. Terms & conditions apply.
Image Credit: Esplanade - Theatres on the Bay
Price: 25 SGD
+65 6828 8377
Esplanade Theatre Studio